Sunday 24 November 2013

Google Teacher Academy

Following an invite to attend the next Google Teacher Academy in December 2013 London, I feel motivated and compelled to start what has lingered at the back of my mind for years. I am a teacher of Mathematics at the Isle of Portland Aldridge Community Academy in Dorset, England.


For several years now I have wanted to start a new blog  to help me at work  (I have another very successful blog for Windsurfing), somewhere to collect my resources and share them with other mathematics educators and learners worldwide. I have thousands of ideas, many of which pale into insignificance while trying to work full time as a teacher of the most powerful subject in the universe.

I chose to teach mathematics for many reasons, primarily because my father taught me some Euclidean geometric principles when I was young. He died when I was 10 and I lost interest in the subject as I progressed through the curriculum at school. Always having found it relatively easy up until A Level no one truly inspired me to learn it the way he did.

For about 8 years prior to entering a teaching role I worked in various business analyst and sales related roles; from a site assessment manager looking at potential new acquisitions for the Co-op, to financial advice, to selling commercial kitchen equipment. I read my first degree in Engineering and achieved it with Honours, then a Postgraduate Certificate in Marketing (My flatmates at uni were doing marketing and I did not need to pick up a book to pass the course as I had been involved in most of their work over 4 years). I gained all of my Financial Planning Certificates before leaving the role as an advisor, then went back to uni to study a Postgraduate Certificate in Mathematics alongside my PGCE/teacher training.

In every role I spent half my time helping colleagues with their jobs and courses and realised my forte in life was to help others learn, so chose to teach what I believe to be the key subject that opens the door to every other, or can be used as a tool within every job role.

I hope you will find the resources and information I post on here useful. In my experience this will build up over time, article by article hopefully to something very substantial.

Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment